RESTORATION OF PETERSBURG
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
The ROPCDC is a 501(c)3 organization that was founded in 1999 by Tabernacle Baptist Church under the leadership of the Rev. Dr. Robert A. Diggs, Sr. Our goal is “to redevelop and revitalize the human and physical capital in the Greater Harding Street-Delectable Heights neighborhood of Petersburg, Virginia, also known as the Halifax Community.” This historically significant community had, through decades of disinvestment and neglect, become an area that needed help on a massive scale.
Though the ROPCDC had reinvested its time, energy and dollars through many valuable projects throughout the area, its board knew that there was more to be done. They also knew that, with the aid of outside organizations, ROPCDC’s mission could become a reality.
To commit to the redevelopment and revitalization of both human and physical capital in the City of Petersburg. Through public and private partnerships, the ROPCDC will build and redevelop the City of Petersburg; improve the quality of life for residents; and empower the citizens through self- sufficiency.
The ideals of ROPCDC, to assist in blight removal, improve and beautify the Halifax community can be demonstrated in our efforts in improving the quality of life of residents:
- The Byrne Street Playground
- Little Angels Child Care and Learning Center
- STAY UP WHILE YOU ARE OUT! – Program for suspended school children
- Kings Dominion summer job opportunities for youth transportation program (2003, 2004, 2005 & 2006)
- Susan G. Komen Grant for mammograms for women in Petersburg and surrounding localities:
- 2002 - $17,000.00
- 2003 - $32,000.00
- 2005 - $10,000.00
- 2006 - $46,000.00
- Claiborne Square Senior Apartments completed in 2011. Forty–seven apartments for senior adults 55 years and older